Thursday, January 12, 2017

The Transformation Of Jessica Sim



Assalamualaikum (Peace be upon you).

I was born in a Buddhist family. When I was little, my younger brother and sister used to go to the Sunday school at the Buddhist Association but I always refused to join as I was lazy to wake up in early morning during Sundays I guess. I sometimes followed my mom to the temple but that was mostly when school exam is around the corner or I was going to sit for the major exams like UPSR/PMR/SPM.

I am not really an atheist because it is in the human nature (or just me) that when you comes to extreme situations, your instinct will tell you to pray to God for help. But still I (persuading myself) trusted myself more than God. I was told that Buddha is the God. The idea did not persuade me because even Buddha was once a human, it did not answer me who is The Creator of the whole universe. (Sorry if I have offended any Buddhist, that was my perspective and you may not have to agree with me.)

When I entered the University, I have a lot of friends who are Muslims. That was when I was really being exposed to this religion. I never thought that I would revert. Never. I doubted Islam, and worst even I criticized about it. I questioned why Allah SWT created mankind and yet made us suffer. What is the purpose of living? Why so much restriction? Why people who claim themselves as Muslim do bizarre things which are opposing the teachings (Mostly shown in the media)?

When you questioned, He will show you the answer. SubhanAllah. Soon I learnt, Muslim does not represent Islam. Islam has exist since the start, it was passed down by a lot of Prophets. Prophet Isa AS (Nabi Isa AS) or known as Jesus in Christianity was one of the Prophet sent by Allah SWT before Prophet Muhammad SAW. Islam we know today is taught based on the Quran and the Sunnah of Prophet Muhammad SAW (who was the last Prophet sent by Allah SWT).

Some things are meant to be experienced but not verbally explained. There are a lot of reasons why I think Islam is good but it may sounds odd to some people so I decided to just stop here before you think I gone crazy.

Here I am, wearing all covered up even I once almost sworn that I will not put on the hijab. Living from a Muslim's perspective has really opened up my eyes. The world is full of people with bizarre behavior, Alhamdulilah I have Islam teachings to keep my nerves. Living with a little more contented and gratitude, stop being too materialistic and start giving back to the society who are struggling to live.

Life is just temporary.

[Photo of Jessica and her mum]

No comments:

Post a Comment